Support & Services – Grande Prairie
Our Educator and Outreach Worker Jessica provides education to community groups, schools, agency staff, organizations and businesses. Our presentations can be tailored to meet the needs of any group and focus on:
- Viral Hepatitis
- Sexual Health/ STI’s, Contraception
- Harm Reduction
- Sex Trade
- Diversity and Homophobia
- Street Drugs
- Naloxone / overdose awareness*
Download our brochure to see what presentations we offer! click here
Condoms (Male, insertive and/or flavored), dental dams, and lube are available at the office during regular business hours, or from the Outreach team during evening outreach in the downtown core. Look for our outreach workers in our HIV North Van or on foot with our HIV North vests.
Naloxone / overdose prevention program
Self referred program available to any member of the public through mon-fri during office hours on a walk-in basis. Teaching will be provided on administration of naloxone, follow up care, safe drug use to help prevent overdose, signs and symptoms of an opioid overdose. Training can be provided on an individual basis or in a group setting for businesses or community organization. Take home naloxone kits will be provided free of charge.
The Grande Prairie Needle Distribution Program is accessible in three ways.
Office: Needles, steri-cups, sterile water, citric, ties, filters, alcohol swabs and sharps containers are available during regular business hours.
Outreach: The outreach teams carry the above items on weekday afternoon and evening outreach to the downtown core.
Pharmacies: Needles and alcohol swabs are available in premade kits supplied by HIV North through the following pharmacies:
- Save On Foods
- Southside Safeway
- Shamrock (Downtown Co-op)
- London Drugs
- Medicine Shop
- ACT Medical
- Sexsmith Pharmacy
- Fournier Drugs Grande Cache
Used drug equipment can be disposed of at the HIV North office or in one of our needle disposal units around the city. If you find a needle please follow our steps to Safer Needle Pick-Up. If you have specific disposal needs please contact the office. For commercial disposal (Tattoo Shops, Acupuncture) please call 1-800-563-2466 to arrange your disposal.
Grande Prairie disposal bin locations:
- Alley behind Ramona’s Pizza
- Beside Salvation Army /Soup Kitchen
- Attached to the Rotary House trash enclosure
- Alley behind Better than Fred’s
- Detox Entrance Northern Addiction Centre
- Around the corner from Shoppers Drug Mart entrance Prairie Mall
- Empty lot across from The Industry
- Alley beside Salvation Army
- Grove of trees west trail into park from St. Pauls United Church
- Beside the garage in Community Village
Our Outreach team distributes safer sex and harm reduction supplies 7 days per week until 11pm. You can connect with them on the street or while they are visiting Rotary House and other service agencies. Look for our HIV North Van or our outreach workers with HIV North vests.
Service Providers: Outreach workers are available to meet with clients at your agency or at the hospital. We come to you!
Permanent Supportive Housing
Permanent Supportive Housing is a Housing First program and part of the City of Grande Prairie’s Homeless Initiative.
- Supports individuals living in market housing maintain housing stability;
- Housing Support Workers assist in setting up wraparound supports to address the Social Determinants of Health;
- Provides longer term services for individuals and families needing more permanent housing supports
After many years of operating the Women’s Drop-In, HIV North will be closing the Tuesday and Thursday drop-in group. The last drop-in will be on March 29, 2018. Previous attendees are welcome to join us at the Salvation Army during lunch time on Tuesdays.
We would like to thank all the individuals who helped support this program by providing their time and donations.
HIV North is looking forward to developing a new program to support women in the sex trade.
LGBTQ Youth Mentor:
- Weekly youth drop-in program Thursday evening.
- Gender and sexual diversity education and support.
- NEW * Comprehensive Drug Education and support.
Visit the Facebook page for event information – add Amanda Mentor as a friend.
- Healthcare advocacy and navigation for individuals needing support;
- HIV and HCV related care and support
HIV North Society
Testing for HIV, Hepatitis C, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia is available through our office on Mondays from 1-3pm. An appointment is not always necessary, but is encouraged.
Grande Prairie Public Health Centre :
10320 99th St
Tuesdays from 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm
Grande Prairie College and Community Health Centre:
STI and Birth Control Clinic
Thursday evenings from 5pm-7pm